Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This wonderful rice is Vinuta S. Chitwadgi's recipe from the Thursday magazine.I hope you enjoy it!
- 2 cups basmati rice, cleaned,washed and drained
- 1 large brinjal, cut into medium-sized cubes
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into medium-sized florets
- 4 -5 cloves garlic, cut into halves
- 1 tablespoon fresh curry leaf, washed and torn
- 2 tablespoons cashews
- 6 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 cups water
For the dry whole garam masala
- 3 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 5 -6 cloves
- 6 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the cauliflower and brinjal cubes in water.
- Keep aside.
- Powder all the spices and keep aside.
- Boil 5 cups water in a large pot.
- While this is being done, heat ghee in a thick bottomed vessel.
- Add cashewnuts and fry till lightly brown.
- Add the curry leaves, garlic, the finely powdered masala and the turmeric powder.
- Mix well.
- Drain the water and add the brinjal and cauliflower to the masala mixture.
- Cover and cook for 30 seconds.
- Drain the rice fully.
- Add it to the vessel.
- Mix and fry for half a minute.
- Add water and salt.
- Mix well and cook on medium flame for a few seconds.
- Cover and cook on simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with a raita of your choice.