Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I decided to make an omelet for dinner the other day and this came out really well, so I decided to post it.
- 2 -3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium carrot, sliced thinly
- 3 -4 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- minced garlic, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 slice cheese (mild or nutty type) or 2 tablespoons grated cheese (mild or nutty type)
- Chop the vegetables as directed.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot and pepper. Saute 1-2 minutes. Add the garlic, and saute another 1-2 minutes. Add the tarragon and paprika. Lower the heat and let the vegetables cook slowly and soften. Add more butter if necessary.
- Meanwhile, mix the eggs, water, soy sauce and salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Add the mushrooms into the vegetables in the frying pan. Cook another 5-10 minutes on low heat. Cover pan to retain moisture.
- Spread vegetables in pan with spatula so they are pressed down and as flat as possible. Pour the egg mixture over them. Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Turn the heat up slightly. Using a metal spatula, gently lift the edges of the omlete that is forming. Tilt the pan to let the unset egg flow down against the edges.
- Cover the pan and let the egg set further. This should take another 5 minutes or so.
- Lift around the edges with the spatula to loosen the omelet. Slide omlet on to a serving plate. Serve with crusty bread, and a nice white wine (if you partake).
Made this for our breakfast this morning and it was quite tasty (DH had some bacon along with his). I did add some onion (which wasn't listed in the ingredients but in the directions) and otherwise I followed the instructions down to covering with a lid. I just let it finish setting up then folded the omelette in half sliding onto the plate. I have never added soy to an omelette but it was good. Thank you for posting. Made for Spring PAC 2014.