Recipe by Mortadella1985
I had gotten sick of the typical meat stuffed peppers,so decided to stuff them with rice and veggies instead and they were a hit!
Top Review by Vegetarian bella
This is NOT vegetarian as it contains chicken broth. to be vegetarian, you would need to replace the chicken stock with either water, or some kind of vegetarian alternative such as vegetable broth.
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked rice
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 3 bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 onion
- 1 stick celery
- 1 carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 12 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups pasta sauce
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon pesto sauce
- 2 cups asiago cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- 1.start by cooking the rice with the vegetable stock, and set that aside.
- 2.slice your bell peppers(you can use red or green) in half vertically and scoop out the insides.Place the six pieces into a baking pan or dish that has been sprayed with pam spray or oil.
- 2.Next start cutting your veggies.finely chop the 1/2 of onion,celery,carrot and the whole zuchini.Add to your pan with oil on low heat. Iike to chop my veggies fine so that my Bf and father dont notice them.This is a great trick to get kids eating veggies.
- 3.Sautee the veggies till there at a soft stage.
- 4.Now add your can of tomatoes,2 cups tomato sauce,ketchup.Chop your garlic up fine and throw that in there also.
- 5.Turn heat up to medium and mix everything together really well.
- 6.Now you can add your basil,oregano,bay leaf,pesto,salt,and pepper. keep stirring everything until the veggies and tomatoes are nice and soft.
- 7.add your cooked rice to the pan.mix everything together well.Now you can grate the cheese and add 1/2 cup to the the rice mix,keep stirring till everythings combined.
- 8.Preheat your oven to 375 degree. Spoon the rice mixture into each of the pepper halves,make them nice and full.
- 9.Pour remaining sauce over all the peppers and sprinkle the remaining cheese allover the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted.