Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 12 mins
This recipe was complied from several different sources in an attempt to find a good, and relatively easy vegetarian mulligatawny recipe. It has been a hit with everyone who has tried it, even the pickiest eaters (aka: my sister). In fact, my wife believes it to be a virtual cure all.... So step aside chicken soup!
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 whole dried chili
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 4 cups vegetable stock (store bought is ok)
- 1 large carrot, finely sliced
- 1 large new potato, rinsed unpeeled, & cubed
- 1 large green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 -3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 1 can coconut milk (398ml)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- STEP ONE: In a large pot over medium heat sauté onions in melted butter until soft and translucent but not caramelized.
- STEP TWO: Add seasonings to onions; continue to sauté for 2 to 3 minutes till they are well incorporated.
- STEP THREE: Stir in Vegetable stock, then add vegetables and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- STEP FOUR: Stir in coconut milk and cook for a further 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool several minutes. Remove whole dried chili. Using a hand blender blend well, while a allowing some variance in texture to remain.
- STEP FIVE: Stir in lemon juice, parsley, and cilantro, and let stand for 1 hour or so to allow the flavors to mature.
- STEP SIX: Reheat gently and then serve. Preferably with warm Nan or pita.
I'd only had vegetarian mulligatawny soup once (at some little restaurant in NYC on curry row), years ago, but had often wished I'd find another non-chicken version. I thought about it again yesterday, and googled some recipes. This sounded like the best one, and I had nearly all the ingredients. I did omit the potato and the whole dried chili, but added yellow dal, freshly grated ginger and some crushed red pepper; and subbed light coconut milk for the regular. IT WAS FANTASTIC!!! I also made my first garlic naan--from another site--to serve with it, and both were utterly delicious. I'll definitely be making this again!
Excellent... I totally love this recipe and the fact it was totally vegitarian was great. My family have asked for this soup repeatedly since I first made it!!! It really does make you feel better when you are not 100%... Makes me think of a warm summer day.
Just made this recipe tonight, AWESOME!! A must try if you've never tried Mulligatawny soup before and if you've tried it before, this recipe will knock your socks off!!