I whipped this together this evening out of the blue - no real recipe served as a base other than measurements for dumplings. One taste, and it is as deep-down satisfying as anything I have tasted in a long time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces tofu (I prefer 1 package of Veat Chik'n Nuggets, or chicken substitute of your choice)
- 8 ounces cream of mushroom soup (Imagine Foods makes a brand I like, or you can use cream of whatever-suits-you-best)
- 1 quart vegetable broth (or more) or 4 cups water, plus 2 cubes of boullion (or more)
- 3 mushrooms, quartered
- 2 carrots, chopped in chunks
- 5 new potatoes, quartered
- 1 zucchini, chopped in large pieces
- 4 leaves kale, shredded
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- herbes de provence or Italian herb seasoning
- 2 dried red chilies, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, shredded
- 1/2 cup cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1Add broth and cream of mushroom soup (minus 1/2 cup reserved for the dumplings) to a large soup pot.
- 2Bring to a simmer, and add chik'n, potatoes and carrots. Simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are just tender.
- 3While simmering, put flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- 4Add shredded basil leaves and soup to flour blend and mix well.
- 5If dough is too dry add up to 1/4 cup more water.
- 6Add broccoli, kale, and zucchini to soup pot. Stir well, then add dumplings by the spoonful. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 7Buen Provecho!
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Chicken and Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.9
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 551.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 9.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: