Recipe by Shahana
This is from 'Healthy Cooking For Two' and is easy to make and great tasting. Prep time includes the precooking of the dry beans. Do not boil the beans as this will tend to make them mushy.
Top Review by pixieglenn
Super duper goodness! I made these beans exactly as described but used canned beans instead of dry, cut the time down significantly. Easy to make and not as sweet as most other baked bean recipes. Definitely a keeper! Thanks!
- 1 small onion
- 1 cup dried white bean
- water, for soaking the beans
- 1⁄2 cup water, reserved from the above amount
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort and rinse beans.
- Put in pot with water to cover 1 inch over beans.
- Bring just to a boil, remove from heat and let stand 1 hour.
- Add water if needed and return jus to a boil, reduce heat, simmer very gently 1 hour.
- Drain beans, reserving water.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Put the onion in a deep casserole and cover with the beans.
- In saucepan, combine the 1/2 cup water, molasses, ketchup, mustard and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; pour over the beans.
- Set casserole on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 1 hour WITHOUT STIRRING, until the beans are glazed on top and most of the liquid has been absorbed.