Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Not what you think: no fake bacon in this one!! Even the biggest meat-eaters go for this one. Seriously very very good!!
- 2 slices white bread, toasted
- 3 -4 slices tomatoes
- 1 -2 lettuce leaf
- 1 -2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 -2 slice provolone cheese
- black pepper, if desired
- Spray a non-stick skillet with plenty of non-stick spray and place the cheese in a single layer in the center.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat.
- When the cheese bubbles and is crunchy and hard on the bottom, flip to the other side.
- Note: do not try to flip the cheese before the bottom is totally solid or you will wind up with a goopy mess.
- Once both sides of the cheese are crunchy, assemble the sandwich with the lettuce, tomato, and "bacon" (cheese), and the mayo spread over the bread.
LOVED this! What a fun & simple sandwich. The cheese does get crispy and since it is salty it does taste like bacon (sort of)! At first the cheese just seems to melt and be an ooey gooey mess, but give it time and watch it carefully. Once it is hard on the bottom it is time to flip before it burns. I really liked this as a change of pace from regular BLTs and frying the cheese was no harder than frying up bacon!
Amazing! I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years. I wish I had known about this a long time ago. Love the crunch it adds. Who knew. Next time I'll try smoked provolone to see how that is.
Delicious and fun! I followed the recipe and then at the end brushed a tiny bit of liquid smoke on the cheese. It was just like a blt. Thanks for sharing this total keeper recipe!