Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
I love a medley of vegetables that look like an edible bouquet on the table and taste oh! so good together with flavours and tastes mingling so mesmerisingly. This one's really special.
- 1 eggplant, cut lengthways into thin slices and sprinkled with salt to take out the bitterness,then rinsed and d
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 250 g cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red pepper, halved
- 1 small green pepper, halved
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil leaf, shredded
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 90 g button mushrooms, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped oregano, fresh leaves (I use 1 tblsp dried)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Place the eggplant slices in a single layer in a baking tray which has been brushed with oil (I use a non-stick tray so omit the oil) Make cross slits on each tomato and place them with the eggplant slices.
- Now brush them with a little oil and bake for 10 mins.
- Cut the eggplant into strips.
- Deseed the peppers and grill until the skin is black and then wrap in a damp cloth until cool.
- Rub the skin off and chop.
- Keep the zucchini slices in a bowl and cover with boiling water for 1 minute.
- Drain and dip in cold water.
- Drain again.
- Now combine all vegetables and the herbs in a big serving bowl and sprinkle the balsamic vinegar and the olive oil over and toss well.
- Keep standing for 1 hour for them to get acquainted.
- Serve at room temperature.
This was labor intensive, but very good. Loved the veggies with the balsamic vinegar and oil dressing. The only change was that I added salt and pepper to taste. I wonder if all the vegetables could be drizzled with olive oil, and roasted, then add the dressing? I may try that next time. Thanks for the recipe, Fay.