Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This one's not for the crockpot! It roasts inside of your oven in one of those oven cooking bags. Smashed potatoes are unpeeled-if you don't like the peel then remove it and you will have regular mashed potatoes. There was no amount given for the milk or butter for the potatoes, just add until you get your desired consistency.
- 3 -4 lbs rump roast
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced into thin strips
- 2 vidalia onions, seperated into rings
- 1 package fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cans condensed golden mushroom soup
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pinch rosemary
- seasoned salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 reynolds plastic roasting bag
- 7 -8 large red potatoes, scrubbed and diced into large pieces
- 1 vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In the cooking bag, place the tablespoon of flour and shake it around.
- Put the vegetables in the bag.
- Put the roast on top of the vegetables.
- Season the roast with seasoned salt, rosemary and pepper.
- Mix the golden mushroom soup, red wine, dry onion soup mix, water and minced garlic together.
- Pour over the roast.
- Make 6 1-inch slashes in the top of the plastic bag.
- Close bag with plastic tie that comes with the cooking bag.
- Roast for 3 hours.
- Remove from oven and let"rest" for 15 minutes.
- Serve roast with mashed potatoes.
- For the potatoes: Place the potatoes, onions, garlic, salt and pepper in a large pot.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are done.
- Remove the potatoe mixture from the stove and drain.
- Mash the potatoes.
- Add milk and butter and mash the potatoes some more.
- Serve with the roast and gravy.
This roast turned out tender, moist and extremely flavorful. I loved the idea of the onions in the potatoes - I can't beleive I never thought of it before! I'm thrilled that there is enough leftover for a couple lunches this week. Thanks for a great recipe.