Recipe by ellie_
Recipe source: Redbook (January 2010)
Top Review by magpie diner
Very easy version of Pad Thai. I left out the egg & fish sauce to keep it vegan, but otherwise made as written (except spinach for mustard greens). Lots of flavour, I found the lime really came through and the method for cooking the rice noodles was perfect.
- 1⁄2 lb rice stick noodles
- 1⁄2 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 limes (1 juiced and 1 cut into wedges)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 3⁄4 lb mustard greens, stems discarded and leaves torn into samll pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 6 scallions, sliced
- 3 eggs, beaten
- bean sprouts (optional)
- 2 cups cilantro
- peanuts, optional garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil and add noodles, stir and then cover and remove from heat. Let stand 4-5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- In a small cup combine chili sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce and lime juice.
- In a large skillet heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil over medium high heat. Stir in garlic and ginger and saute for 30 seconds. Stir in greens and cover for 2 - 5 minutes or until wilted.
- Stir in bell pepper, carrots and scallions and stir fry for 3-5 minutes or until crisp tender. Remove vegetables to a bowl.
- Return skillet to heat and add remaining oil. When hot add eggs and scramble them until set. Add to bowl with the vegetables.
- Return skillet to heat and add chili sauce mixture and bring to a boil. Stir in noodles and cook, tossing occasionally for 1 minute.
- Return vegetables and egg to skillet and cook tossing for 3-5 minutes or until hot. Stir in bean sprouts, if desired.
- Transfer to serving bowl and stir in cilantro. Top with peanuts if desired and serve with lime wedges.