Recipe by Manami
Classic comfort food is yours in less than a half-hour. Serve with crusty whole-grain bread buttered with freshly grated Romano or Parmesan sprinkled on the bread. Make it vegetarian if you choose by omitting the chicken and chicken broth and adding a can of garbanzo beans or cannellini beans and vegetable broth. EatingWellNewsletter
Top Review by PaulaG
What an excellent low carb soup. It is packed full of vegetables and really goes together in a flash. I used 1 boneless, chicken breast and red onion for the shallot. The onion and chicken were sauteed in the oil until the chicken was no longer pink. The squash was added and cooked for a couple of minutes before adding the remaining ingredients. The recipe says it serves 2, my finished soup served 3 nicely. Made fo *My 3 Chefs*
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces chicken tenders, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 small zucchini, finely diced
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes (a pinch or two, for that extra zing)
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 14 ounces reduced-sodium chicken broth or 14 ounces low sodium vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons orzo pasta or 2 tablespoons other tiny pasta, such as farfelline
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed Baby Spinach
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Add zucchini, shallot, Italian seasoning and salt, freshly ground black pepper, crushed red crushed red pepper flakes, and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are slightly softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth, wine and orzo (or other tiny pasta); increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the pasta is tender, about 8 minutes, or according to package directions.
- Stir in spinach, the cooked chicken and any accumulated juices from the chicken; cook, stirring, until the chicken is heated through, about 2 minutes.
- *Cover and refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
- **Nutrition Information.
- Per serving: 261 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrate; 31 g protein; 2 g fiber; 355 mg sodium; 483 mg potassium.
- ***1 Carbohydrate Serving.
- ****Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 1/2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat.