Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
something different with vegemite and a way to hide red kidney beans. Make a great mini meatball roll: Split a small dinner roll, spread with butter and sandwich with two meatballs, grated carrot and corn relish. For a quick dinner, stir cooked meatballs through hot tomato pasta sauce and serve with pasta. Meatballs can be made up to two days in advance and stored, covered, in the fridge. You can also freeze for up to two months: Line a shallow tray with baking paper. Arrange balls on tray and place in the freezer. Once frozen, pack in snap-lock bags or airtight containers. Return to freezer.
- 300 g red kidney beans, drained
- 1 small onion, grated
- 250 g beef mince
- 310 g corn kernels, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn, flake crumbs
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vegemite
- cooking spray
- tomato sauce, to serve
- Place beans in a large bowl. Mash well until almost smooth. Add onion, beef, corn, 3/4 cup of the crumbs, one of the eggs and Vegemite. Using hands, mix well.
- Roll heaped tablespoons of beef mixture into balls.
- Place remaining beaten eggs in a small bowl. Place remaining crumbs in a separate bowl. Dip balls in egg then roll in crumbs. Place on a greased oven tray. Spray with cooking oil.
- Cook in a very hot oven (240C) for about 15 minutes, or until browned and cooked through.
- Serve warm or cold with sauce.