Recipe by Stella Mae
Discovered this school lunch when I was a teenager, and have always loved it as a tasty way to use leftovers.
- 1 lb ground beef (can grind roast) or 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 1 cup beef gravy (from a roast or other cut)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 medium carrot, grated (optional)
- 6 cups leftover mashed potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef or lamb and onion in olive oil; drain fat.
- Stir in brown gravy-- may need to thin with a little water to get a more runny consistency.
- Add cumin, salt, pepper and carrot (optional).
- Simmer on low heat until the sauce is a rich color and at the desired consistency Pour the meat mixture over piping hot mashed potatoes.
- OR, place the meat mixture in a casserole dish, top with mashed potatoes and bake at 350 degrees until hot. Add 5 to 10 more minutes to the suggested preparation time.