1/2 Photos of Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
1 hr 10 mins
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
We grew a wonderful crop of sweet potatoes this year. So I though, there is a pie in here somewhere! I found a couple of recipes on the net for Sweet Potato Pie but didn't really like the ingredients of either, so decided to tweak them and make one pie to suit my tastes. I used my Easy Vegan Spelt Pie Crust in this pie. http://www.recipezaar.com/Easy-Vegan-Spelt-Pie-Crust-196863 Always make sure your sweet potatoes are cooked before using them in a pie. You could even prepare the filling the day before if you like. It's up to you how you want to cook your sweet potatoes. I'm going to bake mine because I feel boiling will introduce too much water into the sweet potatoes. I didn't include the cooking time for the potatoes in this receipe. Here's a link that hows a few different ways to cook the potatoes: http://www.ehow.com/how_5362516_cook-potatoes-three-different-ways.html I used 2 lbs. of potatoes. Once they were cooked and peeled they were closer to the 1 3/4 lbs. needed for the pie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -9 inch pie crust
- 2 cups sweet potatoes (or 1 3/4 lbs of potato cooked and peeled)
- 3/4 cup soymilk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/3 cup agave nectar (honey or maple syrup or 3/4 cup brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup tofu (I used firm)
- 1/4 cup arrowroot (or cornstarch)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1Prepare the pie crust. If you use my Easy Vegan Spelt Pie Crust you will only need 1/2 of the recipe as this recipe makes 2-9 inch pie shells.
- 2I made only one and had left over crust to decorate the top with maple leaves. But you can do whatever you want.
- 3Once you get the crust in the pie pan prick it all over with a fork then refrigerate it until you are ready to fill it. Save the scraps and put them in a sealed plastic bag in the fridge if you're going to use them to decorate the top of the pie.
- 4Cook the sweet potatoes until soft. If you bake them make sure you peel them before you put them in the food processor until smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients and process again to incorporate.
- 5Get the pie crust and fill it.
- 6Bake the pie at 375'F for 40-45 minutes. You might want to put a metal pie rim protector on the pie if you notice it's getting too brown around the edges. I always do that.
- 7The filling should firm when done.
- 8Cool the pie before you serve it.
- 9Serve with whipped topping if you like.
- 10Bon Appetit!
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
Serving Size: 1 (82 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 83.1
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 190.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: