Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I made this with frozen bits and bobs and lots of mash.
- 250 g frozen vegan mincemeat
- 4 teaspoons vegetable bouillon granules
- 1 vegetable stock, cube
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder or 2 teaspoons garlic cloves, x 2
- 3 onions, medium chopped
- 500 g frozen vegetables
- 1⁄4 pint water
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- salt and pepper
- 400 g potatoes, cooked and mashed with
- Preheat oven to gas mark 6 place all the ingredients except for the mash into a casserole dish; place in oven for 20 minutes.
- Check that the veg is cooked and add more gravy granules if needed to make the sauce thicker. Then cover with mash and bake for a further 20 minutes.
- If feeling a bit saucy, sprinkle some vegan cheese on top of the mash before placing in the oven.
This has great potential but didn't quite work for me. I was low on ground beef crumbles so I supplemented with sausage crumbles, which worked quite well given the Italian spices. After the initial baking, the bottom of the pie was still rather cool from the frozen vegetables and the onion also raw. This led to adding another 30 minutes initial to the baking to get the bottom cooked but I still found the onions to be too raw and the sauce rather thin. I think this would have worked better had the onions been cooked first adding the other ingredients to the pan and cooking some before baking. WIll play some as the results have great possibilities and the meal a comfort treat. Made for pick a Chef Spring 2009.