Recipe by happy_vegan
Very Yummy!This actually uses blended tofu that is baked in a pie pan to give an omelet shape. It looks more like an omelet as it browns. I am a vegan for ethical choices, but I always LOVED eggs, so this helps satisfy cravings. It is from "High Road To Health" by Linsay Wagner & Ariane Spade.
Top Review by shootingstar2
I made this for 3 teen-age boys who gave the rating. They said to add mushrooms and a cheese-like product which would give it 1 more star. Prep time was accurate. It was a definite hit!!
- 1 lb extra firm tofu
- 1 cup soymilk, plain
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium potatoes, small chunks (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Drain tofu (I quickly squeeze a little excess water out before throwing it in the blender).
- Place tofu, soy milk and salt in blender and blend until smooth.
- Stir in green onion.
- Lightly oil two 9-inch glass pie pans.
- Divide the omelet mixture between the pans, smooth out the top with a spatula and bake for about 35 minutes. Edges will brown & top will become golden.
- Loosen with spatula. I use the top as the outside of the omelet, the bottom is still white. It looks prettier.
- While omelets are baking heat one tablespoon of olive oil in large skillet.
- Add potatoes and sprinkle salt evenly over.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender(you could cheat and microwave 2 minutes before putting them in the pan), about 15 minutes.
- If they start to stick add 2 TBS water and loosen with sharp spatula.
- When finished, set aside potatoes.
- Heat remaining olive oil in pan.
- Add pepper and onions and cook 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and tomatoes.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, stir in potatoes, and cook together, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Place half of filling inside each "omelet".