Recipe by the80srule
This is based on the other nooch-TVP burger recipe I posted from my nutritional yeast cookbook, I liked them but decided that they needed some heat as well as different seasoning. I also used tahini instead of peanut butter on this batch as well as upping the nooch-- and I liked this turnout way better. Since it's significantly different from the original, I decided to make a separate post. I used NOW brand large-flake nutritional yeast. You'll get 4 large burgers or 6 small burgers.
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3⁄4 cup water (almost boiling)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari or Bragg's)
- 1 tablespoon tahini (or any other nut or seed butter)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (flake kind, NOT powdered)
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the oats, TVP, Old Bay, pepper and mustard together in a medium mixing bowl. Sift together with a large fork.
- I microwave the water for about 1 minute to get it a good temperature. Either way, pour the water in the bowl then add the ketchup and soy sauce, mixing well.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the tahini and incorporate well.
- Blend the nutritional yeast and whole-wheat pastry flour well too.
- You can make your patties right away but I like it better after it's been sitting in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- Form 4-6 patties with your hands, making them nice and flat, the mixture should hold together pretty well. If it doesn't, add a bit more flour. If the opposite occurs and it's very dry and won't stick together, add just a little water with more tahini.
- Coat a skillet with 2-3 tablespoons of oil (your choice, I used canola) and cook the patties for 6-7 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Serve hot with your favorite fixings and buns, I liked these with muenster cheese (yes, I know, not vegan, but delish) and mesculin greens on whole-wheat English muffins as buns. With my homemade french fries on the side. :).