Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
These wonderful bars are from outstanding pasty chef Fran Costigan's cookbook called Vegan Chocolate. You need this book... To make the recipe you can use purchased graham crackers or Vegan Graham Crackers. And you'll also need a basic cashew cream sauce to replace the traditional sweetened condensed milk I recommend Basic Thick Cashew Cream. Both those recipes can be made ahead. When I made it, I found that the coconut layer didn't cut cleanly so I cut them and served them in jumbo muffin liners. Actually turned out to be a good way to serve them!
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs (200 g, Vegan Graham Crackers)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (111 g)
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 t neutral tasting vegetable oil (75 ml)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (30 ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5 ml)
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegan cashew cream (360 ml, Basic Thick Cashew Cream)
- 1 cup toasted walnut halves (113 g)
- 1 cup chocolate chips, divided (170 g)
- 1 1⁄4 cups toasted coconut flakes (104 g)
- Crumb Crust:.
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180°C.
- Lightly oil an 8x8 inch (20x20 cm) baking pan. Line the bottom with parchment so that it extends up two sides of the pan. (To help with the removal of the bars.).
- Mix the graham crackers and sugar in a bowl.
- Mix the maple syrup, oil and vanilla in a small bowl. Pour over the crumbs and mix until moistened.
- Press the dough into an even, compact layer on the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake the crust on the center rack for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack to room temperature before filling.
- Pour the cashew cream over the cooled crust.
- Sprinkle the nuts evenly over the cream.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup (128 g) of the chocolate chips over the nuts.
- Sprinkle the toasted coconut over the top.
- Press the toppings into the cashew cream.
- Bake on the middle rack for 25 minutes until the coconut is lightly browned.
- Press down lightly with a spoon on any areas where the coconut does not look anchored.
- Scatter the remaining chocolate chips on top. Cool completely.
- Place the pan in the freezer for about 30 minutes, until cold, before cutting.
- Remove from the pan, cut into quarters, then cut each quarter into six pieces.