Recipe by VegSocialWorker
From The Vegan Sourcebook by Joanne Stepaniak. This is a great alternative to hot cocoa when you want something sweet and warm. It's super easy to make.
- 1 cup plain non-dairy milk substitute
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- agave nectar or sugar, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the milk, cardamom, cinnamon, pepper and saffron in a small saucepan and whisk them together. Place over medium heat, stirring occasionally until hot.
- Pour the milk through a fine strainer to filter out the spices (you can put the strainer over your mug and pour the hot milk directly into it). Stir in as much sweetner as necessary to achieve the desired sweetness.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
- Alternatively, for an even easier version: put all the ingredients into a mug (I leave out the saffron for this version) and microwave on high for a minute or until hot and enjoy without straining.