Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Agar-agar tends to be overly firm, and would make jell too rubbery. But you can make a nice jelled dessert by mixing it with a little starch, such as cornstarch. Note that this recipe is from veganlunchbox.blogspot.com
- OPTIONAL: sugar or other sweetener to taste if juice isn't sweet enough.
- OPTIONAL: some grated citrus rind.
- OPTIONAL: fresh fruit to add to jell.
- Sprinkle the agar over the juice (with sweetener, salt and any flavoring). Let soak a few minutes. Then cook over medium heat until boiling. Agar powder just needs to simmer for a minute; flakes should simmer at least 5 minutes. Dissolve cornstarch in 1 Tbs water first, then stir in the agar mixture. Boil for 30 seconds.
- Pour into a bowl or small bowls. Place in refrigerator. When half-jelled, you can stir in fruit. Let set until firm and cold.