Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
It’s really one of the easiest gluten-free vegan things to make, and I dare say one of the most delicious too. you can eat this stuff straight out of the jar, but use it in cake recipes, on ice cream, and as a spread. From Gluten Free Vegan Love.
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) canfull fat coconut milk
- 3 1⁄4 cups non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
- 2 cups sucanat (you can use a sugar of your choice here, sucanat is good in this recipe for its color and flavor)
- 1 -2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (or 1/4 tsp. raw ground vanilla )
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Kahlua (optional, adds a deeper flavor, or try adding 1/2 tsp. expresso or strong coffee)
- Place all ingredients in a pot or a large sauce pan (a deeper pot works better in case of accidental boiling over). Bring to a low boil (watch out that it doesn’t boil over — this thing can bubble up pretty quickly!), stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and leave to simmer for 2 1/2 – 3 hrs, stirring occasionally. Somewhere between the 2 and 3 hour mark keep a closer eye out on the mixture until it looks and feels like it’s got the right thickness and consistency. It should reduce roughly by half by the time it’s ready.
- When it’s at the right consistency, remove from heat and transfer to a glass jar. Allow it to cool at room temperature. Store in the fridge if you’re not using it immediately. You can prepare this recipe a few days in advance if you’re planning on using it in something.
- Note: It will turn a nice brown color.