Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From the September 2008 issue of Vegetarian Times. Recipe credited to Marie Holtz of Cafe Flora. I haven't made this yet but will when I have a reason to have a lot of apple ice cream otherwise I'll eat it all myself- and that's not good for the diet! The photo is stunning and makes me really hungry. Would be a great holiday recipe when apples are in season. Cook times are estimates.
- 1 1⁄2 cups macadamia nuts, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
Apple Ice Cream
- 9 ounces silken firm tofu
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain soymilk
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped from pod
- 2 large granny smith apples, peeled and finely diced
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To make praline:
- Combine nuts, sugar and 1 Tbsp waer in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and simmer 10 minutes or until sugar is carmelized, stirring occasionally. Stir in agave nectar. Spread on parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake 10 minutes. Cool and crumble. Set aside.
- To make apple ice cream:.
- Puree tofu in food processor until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and puree until smooth. Churn in an ice cream maker. Spread in rectangular baking pan, press.praline over top, and freeze until firm.
- To make candied apples:.
- Combine all ingredients and 2 Tbsp water in saucepan. Simmer 5 to 7 minutes, or until apples have softened. Cool.
- Cut apple ice cream into 8 rounds with a round cookie cutter and place on plates. Spoon candied apples on top and around sides.