Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
My sister used to bake these every day to sell at a cafe at school. I often bring these to vegetarian/vegan potlucks because they are quick and everyone seems to really like them. Please note - these are pretty good, but the other vegan brownie recipe I have posted (Rich, Fudgy Vegan Brownies) is way better!! (I think).
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Cook water and 1/2 cup of the flour over low heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches the consistency of a gluey paste (yum).
- Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Mix sugar, salt, vanilla, cocoa powder and vegetable oil, and then add the flour-water mixture.
- Mix well.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of flour, plus the baking powder and nuts/chocolate chips.
- Spread mixture into a greased 11x7-inch pan.
- Bake at 350ºF for 25 minutes, or until knife inserted into center of pan comes out clean.
I made these this evening, and they're fantastic!! Gooey, sweet, and so chocolatey! I had all the ingredients at home, and the fact the recipe was egg-free made it all the better! I used only 1/4 cup of oil (no reason, just a genuine error on my part), and the end mixture was reallllly sticky and kinda hard to spread on the pan, but in the end, it turned out great! Thanks pollen!
Excellent tasting brownies. The key to smoother brownies is when boiling the water and flour mixture... sift the flour first and then gradually add in the water. Its much smother that way =) And I added in about a half of cup of water in addition to the oil to make the batter a bit more smooth. It actually tastes great!
Incredible! I made them for my vegan son's birthday and took them to his army base. He loved them! I substituted vegetable shortening for the oil, put them in a muffin tin, and cooked them for only 22 minutes...and they were great! Thanks so much for sharing them.