Recipe by pollen
My sister used to bake these every day to sell at a cafe at school. I often bring these to vegetarian/vegan potlucks because they are quick and everyone seems to really like them. Please note - these are pretty good, but the other vegan brownie recipe I have posted (Rich, Fudgy Vegan Brownies) is way better!! (I think).
Top Review by Anu
I made these this evening, and they're fantastic!! Gooey, sweet, and so chocolatey! I had all the ingredients at home, and the fact the recipe was egg-free made it all the better! I used only 1/4 cup of oil (no reason, just a genuine error on my part), and the end mixture was reallllly sticky and kinda hard to spread on the pan, but in the end, it turned out great! Thanks pollen!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Cook water and 1 cup of the flour over low heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches the consistency of a gluey paste (yum).
- Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Mix sugar, salt, vanilla, cocoa powder and vegetable oil, and then add the flour-water mixture.
- Mix well.
- Add the remaining 3 cups of flour, plus the baking powder and nuts/chocolate chips.
- Spread mixture into a greased 11x7-inch pan.
- Bake at 350ºF for 25 minutes, or until knife inserted into center of pan comes out clean.