Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
My sister used to bake these every day to sell at a cafe at school. I often bring these to vegetarian/vegan potlucks because they are quick and everyone seems to really like them. Please note - these are pretty good, but the other vegan brownie recipe I have posted (Rich, Fudgy Vegan Brownies) is way better!! (I think).
- Cook water and 1/2 cup of the flour over low heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches the consistency of a gluey paste (yum).
- Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Mix sugar, salt, vanilla, cocoa powder and vegetable oil, and then add the flour-water mixture.
- Mix well.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of flour, plus the baking powder and nuts/chocolate chips.
- Spread mixture into a greased 11x7-inch pan.
- Bake at 350ºF for 25 minutes, or until knife inserted into center of pan comes out clean.
I made these this evening, and they're fantastic!! Gooey, sweet, and so chocolatey! I had all the ingredients at home, and the fact the recipe was egg-free made it all the better! I used only 1/4 cup of oil (no reason, just a genuine error on my part), and the end mixture was reallllly sticky and kinda hard to spread on the pan, but in the end, it turned out great! Thanks pollen!
I tried this and the Brownies were very dry.
I used Earth balance Vegan "butter" instead of oil, but otherwise followed the recipe....in the end, they looked good, but they tasted like flour.