Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
When it's raining outside and you're hankering for some soul food whip up some vegan biscuits and gravy for your loved one(s) and spend the rest of the morning working them off in bed!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushroom broth
- 3 tablespoons flour
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme (optional)
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix together liquid ingredients into a small bowl.
- Cut margarine into pea sized pieces (in the flour).
- Don't cut too small.
- Add liquid ingredients and mix with a fork until it just starts to come together.
- Push into a ball, knead just once or twice and roll out to 1/2 thick slab.
- Cut into circles or squares, place on cookie sheet and bake at 450 for 10-15 minutes.
- Now, on to the gravy.
- Mix together 3/4 cup liquid, flour, salt, pepper and thyme (if you're using it) into a bottle and shake vigorously.
- Heat margarine in pan and whisk in flour/stock mix.
- Once it's incorportated add the rest of the liquid and stir over a low heat until it's set.
- Pour over the piping hot biscuits and watch for the smiles.
I didn't work them off in bed, but they were very good.
Southern style or not, these were FANTASTIC! I love how detailed the biscuit instructions were as it is very important how they are prepared (never over-mix and add the margarine into the FLOUR). The gravy was very simple to make. A quick breakfast! Only suggestion I would have is if you are planning on using all of the biscuits with the gravy, double the gravy recipe.
If you are looking for "drop" biscuits or some southern biscuits and gravy, this is not the recipe to use. These came out more like scones for me.