Recipe by tendollarwine
I made up this recipe after getting a craving for some "meaty" Chinese food. The measurement for the seitan is approximate, I never really measure it, I just make a big batch and hope it will be enough. For the gravy, I love using the Chicago Diner recipe, which is in my list of published recipes. Just add more tamari to the finished product.
- 1 lb seitan, made into 2 inch strips
- 4 green bell peppers, chopped into large pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped into large pieces
- 5 cups gravy
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 cups jasmine rice, cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- To get the most flavor out of this dish, I always make the seitan the day before. Cook the seitan bits in a large pan over medium heat with the vegetable oil until it starts to brown.
- Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl. Pour the 5 cups of gravy over the seitan and add more tamari to taste.
- Mix well, cover, and store in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, chop the vegetables and sautee in a wok or large pan over medium heat with the sesame oil. When the vegetables start to brown, add the bowl of gravy and seitan.
- Simmer the vegetables, seitan and gravy for 10-15 minutes, or until the seitan is heated through and the veggies have softened.
- While all of this is cooking, make the rice.
- Scoop rice onto a plate, spoon the Pepper Fake over and enjoy!