Recipe by Prose
This is modified from an Alton Brown recipe on the Banana episode of Good Eats. I replaced the cream with coconut milk and the corn syrup with agave nectar to make it vegan and healthier. I also added the optional carob chips and coconut flakes, which my friends agreed really worked well with the banana flavor. Despite its healthiness, this recipe is still luxuriously thick, "creamy," and rich. Instead of chilling the mixture before putting it in the ice cream maker, you can use frozen bananas. Be sure to use regular (not light) coconut milk. Cooking time is freezing time in ice cream maker.
Top Review by mliss29
I made this last night, but forgot the agave nectar. It was still good that way, but I had enough coconut milk left over to make it again tonight so I could really review the recipe properly. Wow! With the addition of agave, it actually seemed like ice cream! It was good without, but wow! even better with. I liked it with the carob chips too, but it's also really good without. Thank you for the yummy treat! Reviewed for the Veg*n Recipe Swap.
- 3 bananas (frozen or not)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup agave nectar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup carob chips (optional) or 1⁄2 cup semisweet vegan chocolate chips (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients except shredded coconut and carob chips in blender or food processor. Puree, scraping sides occasionally, until uniform.
- If you used frozen bananas, pour the mixture directly into the frozen cannister of a 1-quart ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions.
- If you used room-temperature bananas, chill the mixture in your refrigerator for at least a few hours before pouring into the frozen cannister.
- If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can freeze the mixture and then puree it again in your food processor, but it won't be as creamy.
- If using shredded coconut and/or carob/chocolate chips, add them to the ice cream maker in the last 5-10 minutes.
- Enjoy, and store leftovers in the freezer.