1/3 Photos of Veal Scaloppine W/Cream, Calvados & Apples (Jacques Pepin)
This recipe by Jacques Pepin from his A FRENCH CHEF COOKS AT HOME cookbook, takes an Italian classic & adds French influence to produce a company-worthy outcome. I have not made this dish, but will be searching my grocery store for veal at a reasonable price for it. In the meantime, I hope someone will be as tempted as I am to give this a try. *Enjoy*
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel, core & cut apples into 1/2-in cubes. Place them in a bowl, add lemon juice, mix thoroughly so apples are well-coated & set aside.
- 2Sprinkle veal escalopes w/salt & pepper & then w/the flour, shaking off any excess.
- 3Heat butter & oil in a lrg skillet at least 15-in in diameter. When hot, add veal a few pieces at a time & saute till lightly brown on both sides (approx 4 min on ea side over med-heat).
- 4When escalopes are cooked, arrange them on a platter & set aside in a warm place such as an oven heated to 180°F (80°C).
- 5Add apples w/lemon juice & Calvados to the pan. Scrape up all pan encrustations & cook over mod-heat (stir freq) for 3 minutes.
- 6Add cream & cont cooking till mixture has turned a rich ivory color. Reduce heat & cook (stir freq) for almost 10 min or till the cream has reduced by half & the sauce coats a spoon.
- 7Taste for seasoning; you will prob need to add about 1/2 tsp salt. Spoon sauce over escalopes & serve immediately.
- 8NOTE: The recipe says this serves 6 as a main-course, but I think it is more likely to serve 4 as a main-dish or 6 as an appy. I expect it may depend on what the entire menu looks like, so I will let you decide this for yourself.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Veal Scaloppine W/Cream, Calvados & Apples (Jacques Pepin)
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 568.9
- Calories from Fat 453
- Total Fat 50.3 g
- Saturated Fat 27.9 g
- Cholesterol 147.9 mg
- Sodium 697.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: