Recipe by chia
i got fresh italian veal sausage in s philly today, this was a great untraditional way to use them, adapted from tv food
- 1 lb fresh veal sausage, cut into 3/4-inch slices (4-5 links)
- ground cinnamon, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup calvados, applejack or 1⁄4 cup good apple cider
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large cold skillet, arrange the sausage slices in 1 layer. Set over medium-high heat, and cook, turning the slices once or twice until they are crisp and nicely browned on both sides, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a 2-quart casserole, arrange a layer of about 1/4 of the sausage slices. Cover the sausage with a layer of about 1/4 of the apple slices. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon. Continue in this manner to make 4 layers, ending with the apple slices.
- Stir the Calvados into the skillet in which the sausage was browned, scraping up any crusty, brown bits that cling to the bottom of the pan. Stir in the cream until well blended, Pour this mixture evenly over the casserole.
- Cover, and bake for 1 hour until the apples have cooked down and the mixture is bubbling. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.