Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe won Sara Varghese 20 R.O. in last week's Thursday magazine!
- 1 banana flower (Vazhapoo/Vazhakoombu)
- 1⁄2 cup toor dal (toovar dal/tuvar dal, all are one and the same)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 -4 green chilies
- 1 piece ginger, small
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 -4 curry leaves
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- breadcrumbs, as required
- oil, to deep fry
- Remove the outer layers from the vazhapoo.
- Wash well and chop finely.
- Add 1 tsp.
- of oil, a pinch of salt and a pinch of turmeric powder to the finely chopped vazhapoo.
- Mix well and keep aside.
- Pour oil in a wok.
- Add the onion, ginger, garlic, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Saute till lightly brown.
- Add the chopped banana flower.
- Mix well and cook for sometime on low flame.
- In a separate vessel, boil the toor dal well and mash it.
- Add this with the cooked banana flower.
- Mix well.
- Make into small balls as to resemble cutlets.
- Beat an egg in a separate dish.
- Dip the cutlets in the beaten egg, one by one, and coat well with breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry in hot oil.
- Drain excess oil on clean kitchen napkins.
- Serve hot as a snack or as a side dish.