Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Traditional Greek New Years Cake. (The easy version.)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 3⁄4 cups white sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup blanched slivered almond
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, blend together the butter or margarine and the sugar.
- Separate 3 of the eggs; add the yolks and the 2 remaining whole eggs to the butter mixture.
- Stir in the vanilla and water.
- In another bowl, sift together the baking powder and flour.
- Add these dry ingredients to the creamed mixture.
- Whip 3 egg whites until they are foamy.
- Add 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Continue to whip the whites until they are stiff, but not dry.
- Fold whipped whites into batter.
- Pour the batter into a greased 10 x 4 inch tube pan.
- Wrap a large coin in foil, and place the coin in the batter.
- Press the coin down; it should be completely hidden.
- Sprinkle the nuts and seeds on top of the batter.
- Bake the cake for about 70 minutes, or until done.
- Cool on a wire rack.