Recipe by Akbar Syed
A Main Course Meal usually served in important functions and marriages in India. It is actually a Mughlai dish made out of long grain rice and mutton.
- 1 kg basmati rice
- 250 g oil
- 50 g ghee
- 4 big onions
- 100 g garlic paste
- 100 g ginger paste
- 1 g masala, solid (Patta 2 small pcs., Ilachi 5 nos., Loung 5 , Javtri 1 flower)
- 2 green chilies
- 250 g curds
- 1 kg mutton
- 2 teaspoons salt, for akhni
- 2 teaspoons salt, for rice
- 4 teaspoons red chili powder
- 1 bunch coriander leaves
- 1 bunch pudina leaf
- 1 pinch lemon yellow food coloring
- 1⁄4 liter milk
- 1⁄2 kg tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and Soak Basmathi Rice in water for half an hour.
- Wash Mutton throughly and keep aside.
- Cut Onion into thin stripes and keep aside.
- Cut tomotto into thin pieces and keep aside.
- Cut Coriander leaver and Pudina leaves , wash them throughly, and keep aside.
- Crush lemon and get its juice and keep it ready for use.
- Mix Zafran in the milk and keep it aside.
- Take a deep bottomed vessel and put 4 to 5 ltr. of water and keep it on the fire to boil. Meanwhile take another vessel to prepare Akhni and put it on the fire. Put oil and heat it. As soon as the oil gets heated put Gram Masala (Patta, loung, Ilachi and Javtri) and fry for 1 mt. Then put onion and fry till golden brown. Add Garlic paste and fry for 1 mt. and then put Ginger paste and again fry it stirring well so that the paste should not stick to the vessel. Put tomotto, red chilli powder, salt and fry again, then put the mutton and fry for 5 mts. Put Pudina leaves and coriander leaves and stir well after 5mts Put Curd and stir well and close the lid to prepare the mutton akhni. Ocassionally open the lid and stirr the spoon so that the gravy is not sticked to the vessle. Prepare well till the mutton is tender. Now put zafran mixed milk and lemon juice, lower the flame.
- Meanwhile see that the water is boiled. Put the Rice into it. put the green chilli , lemon yellow colour a pinch, and salt also. when the rice is half boiled take it from the fire and remove the water. After removing the water take the rice and put it into the akhni. Now put Ghee over the rice and close the lid and Dum it for 15 mts.
- Take out and serve hot.