Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A real comfort food--lovely with grilled chicken or steaks! Yum!
- 30 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 250 g bacon, diced
- 1 kg potato, peeled and halved
- 50 g butter
- 150 ml milk (you may need more)
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
- salt and black pepper
- Heat oil in a frying pan, add onion and bacon and fry until golden brown and crisp.
- Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, boil potatoes in salted water to cover until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain well and mash finely with butter.
- Heat milk in a medium-sized saucepan, add vanilla pod and seeds.
- Bring to boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from stove and discard vanilla pod.
- Add milk to potatoes and mix well.
- Season to taste.
- Top with bacon and onion mixture and serve warm.