Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Posted in reply to a request for a Danish butter cookie recipe. This recipe is from my old (1973) "Common Market Cookbook/Denmark." The yield for this recipe isn't given in the book and its been so long since I've made them, I really don't remember how many cookies it makes. PLEASE NOTE: This recipe uses vanilla essence which is much stronger than triple-strength vanilla extract! If you are using regular strength vanilla extract, then 1 Tablespoon (or a bit more "to taste" ) should do it.
- 18 ounces plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 13 ounces butter
- 9 ounces sugar
- 4 ounces blanched almonds, minced
- 1 egg
- 3 drops vanilla essence
- Work all ingredients together and let the dough stand for 20 minutes, in a cool place.
- Put dough into a pastry bag or cloth and press/roll dough into long thin rolls.
- Cut rolls into equal sized pieces (about 5-6 inches long) and on a well-greased cookie sheet, form each piece into a small ring slightly overlapping the cut ends.
- Bake in a fairly hot (400°F, 200°C, GM 6) oven for 10 minutes or until light brown.