Recipe by mariposa13
From The Everyday Low Carb Slow Cooker Cookbook. Per Serving: 260 calories, 3g protein, 3g net carbs, 27g fat, 146mg cholesterol, 54mg sodium
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup Splenda granular
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (not imitation)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients together in crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 1/2 hrs, whisking several times during cooking.
- When cooking is complete, test to be sure it's ready using the 'wooden spoon test.' Dip a clean wooden spoon into the mixture, then run a clean finger over the back of the spoon (through the mixture). If your finger leaves a trail then the base is done. If no trail, cook 1/2 hr more and test again.
- Transfer the ice cream base to a bowl and let it cool completely in the refrigerator. Freeze ice cream according to ice cream freezer manufacturer's directions.
- **Because there is no sugar in this ice cream base, it freezes very quickly and stays very hard. You may want to soften it slighly before serving.
- 1/2 CUP = 1 SERVING.