Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Would you like to make your own vanilla spiced sugar cubes? Very pretty and easy to make. Recipe courtesy of Janet Johnston. Show: Spice & Easy Episode: Friday Night Book Club. The trick is to precut them and let cook long enough, they might need a few minutes longer.
- 4 madagascar vanilla beans (can use Tahitian, Mexican, etc.)
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup pure vanilla extract (use Madagascar if possible)
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- Cut the 4 vanilla beans into 1/2-inch pieces and grind to a coarse powder in a coffee grinder.
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar, vanilla bean powder and extract until thoroughly combined (when the extract is completely incorporated the mixture will look a bit like dough). Pour the sugar mixture into an 8 by 8-inch pan and spread out evenly to a 1/2-inch thickness. Next, use a knife to score out 1/2-inch by 1/2-inch cubes by running the knife the length of the pan every 1/2-inch and the width of the pan every 1/2-inch. Bake for 1 1/2 hours. Remove the pan from oven and let cool. Once cooled, carefully flip the pan over onto a large cookie sheet to remove the sugar. Allow to cool completely, and then gently break into cubes along the scored lines.
- To "round" the edges of the cubes gently pour them into a big pot with a cover and lightly shake. Check and repeat if necessary. Pour the cubes from the pot into a small holed colander or sifter and sift off any sugar particles that can be reserved as granulated vanilla bean sugar!
- You could have fun and experiment with these using orange zest and extract, mint, maybe cinnamon extract for teas -- what endless possibilities!