Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
OMG! These are to die for!!! Got these out of our local paper for the holiday and just made them. I used Giardelli's bittersweet choc. chips, Sucanat and whole wheat flour, but you may use whatever you have. I doubled the recipe and got 5 custard cup sized cakes. If you want more choc. lava, bake them for 10 minutes, less, 11-12. This is so quick and easy and it looks like you slaved in the kitchen, yet takes a total of 20 minutes from beginning to end! Wish I would have seen the recipe b4 my anniversary (which happens to be the 15th).
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces high-quality bittersweet chocolate or 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- If making and serving the cakes at once, preheat oven to 425°F Butter two 3/4-cup ceramic ramekins or ovenproof glass custard cups.
- In double boiler or in the microwave, melt butter with the chocolate, stirring to combine. Remove from heat immediately.
- In medium bowl, whisk egg and yolk lightly, then add sugar and salt ans whisk until blended and slightly paler and thickened, about 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the melted chocolate, in a stream, then whisk in flour.
- Divide batter between buttered ramekins.
- At this point, ramekins can be refrigerated for a day if preparing in advance; cover them loosely with plastic wrap once they're cool.
- Bake cakes on a baking sheet in preheated oven about 10 minutes if preparing immediately, up to 14 minutes if baking after refrigerating. Go by appearance, rather than time: The cakes should be firm on the outside and dry across the top, but the center 1 inch or so should still be quite wobbly.
- Remove from oven and let stand 1 minute. Run knife around sides to loosen, then turn them out onto individual serving plates.
- Sift powdered sugar over them, if desired, and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Just made these....makes exactly two :) tastes even better with vanilla ice cream!!
Wonderful flavor with bittersweet choc. I used two Corning grab its but they were over done at 10 min. so will try a different vessel.