Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I make this meatloaf the first night of vacation and use the leftovers for my spaghetti sauce later in the week.
- 2 -3 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic cloves or 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 Ritz crackers (crumbed)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 16 ounces classico tomato and basil pasta sauce (1/2 jar) or 16 ounces diced tomatoes
- Mix all ingredients in 2 inch baking dish or pan and bake at 400 for 35 minutes. Bake longer if in a deeper dish.
- Drain and serve.
This meatloaf is great, except to our tastes a little bland -- we'd up the salt and garlic and add some herbs; we used the diced tomatoes and it might have been better with the basil pesto sauce. One outstanding feature is that it sliced nicely and held its form; the texture is terrific. Be sure to allow time: our cooking time was much more than the recipe specified, at least an hour with two pounds of ground beef, possibly because our meat was very cold when mixed. We topped half the loaf with ketchup before cooking, per one person's personal preference, and that half went first. Made for Pick A Chef, Sept. 09.