Recipe by MA in Florida
I got this recipe out of a local newspaper about 12 years ago. It makes a nice breakfast or brunch dish.
Top Review by chef kristin #2
This was absolutely fabulous!! I made it SLIGHTLY different from the recipe, but used it as a base. I used jiffy cornbread mix (2 boxes) and prepared as directed for the topping. I also didnt brown the sausage before i added the apples. The sausage I used was turkey smoked sausage. It was really really REALLY good! Even my pickiest eater ate everything on her plate and that is REALLY saying something!!!
- 1⁄2 lb pork sausage link
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 small apples, peeled cored, and sliced into eighths
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease bottom and sides of a 8" or 9" square baking pan.
- Brown the sausages in a medium skillet over moderately high heat, rotating them until browned and cooked through.
- Remove the sausage and discard all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings.
- Add butter and brown sugar to the pan.
- Heat, stirring until sugar is melted.
- Add apples and saute them over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until soft (about 10 min).
- Arrange sausages in rows across the prepared pan.
- Insert the apple slices, round side down, between the sausages, wedging them in tightly.
- Pour over juices from the skillet (the pan can be covered and refrigerated overnight at this point, if desired).
- Bring to room temperature before proceeding.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- To make cornbread, stir together the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add the egg, melted butter and milk.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Pour the batter over the sausage and apples, smoothing the top to cover well.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cake tester inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven.
- Immediately invert onto a serving dish.
- Cut into squares and serve.