Recipe by zemzem
Adaptation to a common French recipe, the tarte tatin. The crust will be on TOP of the pears, not under
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room-temperature
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 225 g flour, all purpose
- 6 medium pears, well ripened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Butter a 9" cake pan, circular if possible at least 2" deep.
- For the dough: chop up 1 cup of butter into the flour. Rub the butter into the butter with your fingers until the mixture looks sandy.
- Add the water water to the dough and try to make a ball.You may need to add more water.
- Place ball of dough on a floured surface and roll out large enough to be a little wider than your pan.
- Cut and peel pears into sixths or quarters.
- Toss pear gently with the sugar and place all at the bottom of the pan.
- Chop up the remaining butter and scatter on top of pears.
- Carefully take dough and put on top of pears.If possible, tuck sides into pan.
- Use a fork to make holes in the dough for air to escape.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then start checking every few minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- After pie has cooled for 5 minutes, flip the pie onto a serving platter so that the pears are seen.
- Serve with whipped cream.