Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
This is a heathlier version of a chile relleno. This is not a traditional relleno, but it is fast and easy to make in the microwave. Yes, microwave! I got this recipe from a lady that sells chile at the farmers market and I tried and really liked it for a quick chile relleno fix! Hope you like it too. You can use whatever cheese you want and use prepared bread crumbs if you want. I included step by step photos to help make these.
- Mix bread crumbs with salt and garlic powder.
- Remove stems from chile and seed if you want. Cut open and lay chile flat.
- Divide the 1/2 cup cheese between the 4 chiles and place 2 strips of tomatoe in each.
- Close up chile and sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese on them.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on chiles. May not need the whole cup, maybe 3/4 cup.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of bread crumbs.
- Microwave for 3 minutes or until cheese melts.
This was really great - I baked 1/2 the recipe & microwaved half: I think the microwaved pepper was better! You could add other things to this easily: chopped veges or meat in the pepper before you top it. Even better the second day. Thanks for a good one!
These are soo good! And I like the fact they aren't like the traditional egg batter & fried. And they were easy, tasty and a great little afternoon snack. I did have issues trying to roast the chilies, but those were my own issues. Viviane was so helpful to me trying to figure out where I went wrong. With her help I was able to achieve what I needed to make this fabulous treat! Thanks again Viviane!
Great recipe Viviane! I used peppers that had already been prepared and frozen. I just thawed them ahead of time,stuffed them and popped them into the microwave. I used ground beef and pepper jack for the filling and topped with cheddar and crumbled tortilla chips. For garnish, I added pico de gallo and sour cream. It was a good quick dinner!