Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These taste like the inside of a Mounds bar! If you like, drizzle or dunk them in melted chocolate for a Mounds wannabe! The amount made is a guesstimation, as I don't remember exactly how many cookies this makes.
- 1 cup Crisco shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄4 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Cream shortening with vanilla.
- Add sugar gradually, beating til fluffy.
- Add egg and beat well.
- Thoroughly blend in 1 3/4 cups coconut.
- Combine flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add 1/2 of this mixture to the creamed mixture; mix well.
- Add remainder of mixture; stir til it holds together.
- Shape into 1" balls.
- Roll in remaining coconut.
- Place 3/4" apart on lighly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 325 for 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool on cookie sheet, then remove.
Wonderful cookies! YUM! These were a huge hit with my family. Thanks!
I was expecting a mounds which to me is much more like a macaroon but that isn't what I got. Not that these are bad cookies just not what I was looking for. I found the dough to be crumbly and a little hard to roll into balls and the extra coconut didn't stick to the balls so I found that to be more trouble than it was worth.
These are great cookies! Slightly crispy on the outside , chewy on the inside. I'm sorry I made only half a batch (not enough coconut for a full batch)They mix up in no time and are very easy to make. They are addictive little buggers! Thanks for posting this U.C.!! *ETA Made again decorating with a skiff of melted semi sweet chocolate ... YUM!