Prep 10 mins
Cook 16 mins
I got the basics of this recipe from "Cooking Under Pressure" by Lorna J. Sass. I modified it a bit and really like its unique flavor.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground buffalo meat or 1 lb other meat
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) canned tomatoes, chopped and including juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup dried cilantro
- sour cream
- I prepared this in a pressure cooker (the best way to get tender meats) but this could be cooked in a crock pot or pot on the stove. The directions will be for a pressure cooker but you can just change the cooking times if you're using different equipment.
- Place 1 tablespoon olive oil in the pressure cooker and warm.
- Place the buffalo (or deer, elk, lamb or beef) in 6 patties and lightly brown on both sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil and lightly brown the onions and green pepper.
- Add the meat and all ingredients except the cilantro. Stir.
- Cook according to your pressure cooker's directions. I put mine on high until the regulator rocked at a medium pace and then cooked it at that pace for about 6 minutes. I then removed it from the burner and let the pressure drop on its own.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Add cilantro and stir.
- Top with sour cream (or kefir, labneh or Greek yogurt is better!).