Prep 15 mins
Cook 17 mins
These are very easy to make shortbread cookies. They are so good that they melt in your mouth, you hardly have to chew them. I have been making them for over 35 years.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar or 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup red maraschino cherry
- 1⁄4 cup green maraschino cherry
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl and using an electric mixer, combine butter, flour, icing sugar and vanilla extract; mix until mixture is a smooth consistency.
- Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Spoon out dough onto parchment lined cookie sheets by teaspoonfuls or by tablespoons for larger cookies, spacing about 2 inches apart.
- Cut maraschino cherries into quarters and place one piece in the middle of each cookie, alternating with red and green cherries.
- Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 13 to 15 minutes or until bottom of cookies are lightly browned, DO NOT OVERBAKE.
- Remove from oven and let cool on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer onto wire racks to finish cooling.
- Store in a container with a lid and separate each layer with wax paper.
- NOTE: If you wish to add some flavor to the cookies, add 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract or almond extract.
- Use sprinkles, half an almond or half a cashew or chocolate to the top of the cookies before baking.
- A thumbprint in the cookie, filled with your choice of jam is very tasty.
- It has been suggested that the cookies be refrigerated for at least 1/2 hour before baking for a different texture.
Bill, these were just super easy to make. I had them done and cooling on my counter in no time at all. Instead of the cherries, I just used Christmas sprinkles. They are, as you said, melt in your mouth. I'll be making these again. Thanks for the recipe!
These have got to be the easiest shortbread cookies in the universe! Besides being so easy they are a taste of Heaven, a melt in your mouth cookie. These will be a regular around here; especially on the Holiday table!
These cookies are so delicious. As well as really tasty, they are the simplest cookies I have ever made. 10 minutes in the oven and my cookies were ready to come out. Do try!