Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
I have been making Pecan Pies for many years. I now bake the pie in a casserole dish and serve it cut into squares.
- 1 1⁄4 cups graham wafer crumbs
- 1 1⁄4 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine (softened)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups light corn syrup
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup golden seedless raisins
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup whole pecans, for the bottom layer
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine graham wafer crumbs, vanilla wafer crumbs and 1/2 cup of chopped pecans; mix well.
- Add 6 tablespoons of butter or margarine and using a pastry blender, work the mixture until crumbs are formed.
- Prepare a 9" x 13" x 2" deep, oven-proof casserole dish by spraying the inside with a vegetable oil.
- Dust inside with 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, discarding any excess flour.
- Spoon crumb mixture into casserole dish and using a potato masher that has square slots, press to about 1/4" thickness.
- Using a rounded spoon, press the crumb mixture 3/4 of the way up the sides to about 1/4" thickness.
- In a preheated 400 F oven, bake for 15 minutes to set the crust.
- In the meantime, in a large bowl, combine brown sugar and flour.
- Add eggs one at a time and whisk well until smooth.
- Add corn syrup, melted butter, salt and vanilla extract and whisk well to blend.
- Add raisins and 2 cups of chopped pecans and stir well to mix.
- Layer the bottom with 1 cup of whole pecans in no particular pattern; just random.
- Spoon mixture carefully over the pecans.
- Some of the pecans may float and this is okay.
- Reduce oven heat to 375 F and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the filling is slightly puffed and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- When cooled, refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of icecream.