William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
I have been making Pecan Pies for many years. I now bake the pie in a casserole dish and serve it cut into squares.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups graham wafer crumbs
- 1 1/4 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine (softened)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup golden seedless raisins
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup whole pecans, for the bottom layer
- 1Preheat oven to 400 F.
- 2In a mixing bowl, combine graham wafer crumbs, vanilla wafer crumbs and 1/2 cup of chopped pecans; mix well.
- 3Add 6 tablespoons of butter or margarine and using a pastry blender, work the mixture until crumbs are formed.
- 4Prepare a 9" x 13" x 2" deep, oven-proof casserole dish by spraying the inside with a vegetable oil.
- 5Dust inside with 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour, discarding any excess flour.
- 6Spoon crumb mixture into casserole dish and using a potato masher that has square slots, press to about 1/4" thickness.
- 7Using a rounded spoon, press the crumb mixture 3/4 of the way up the sides to about 1/4" thickness.
- 8In a preheated 400 F oven, bake for 15 minutes to set the crust.
- 9In the meantime, in a large bowl, combine brown sugar and flour.
- 10Add eggs one at a time and whisk well until smooth.
- 11Add corn syrup, melted butter, salt and vanilla extract and whisk well to blend.
- 12Add raisins and 2 cups of chopped pecans and stir well to mix.
- 13Layer the bottom with 1 cup of whole pecans in no particular pattern; just random.
- 14Spoon mixture carefully over the pecans.
- 15Some of the pecans may float and this is okay.
- 16Reduce oven heat to 375 F and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the filling is slightly puffed and golden brown.
- 17Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- 18When cooled, refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 19Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of icecream.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uncle Bill's Southern Style Pecan Pie
Serving Size: 1 (120 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 520.1
- Calories from Fat 272
- Total Fat 30.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 74.4 mg
- Sodium 229.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 27.6 g
- Protein 5.3 g