Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
These Festive Squares are excellent for a party. The original recipe has been modified with several added ingredients and it is thoroughly enjoyed by all. Please do not substitute any of the ingredients.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 10 1⁄2 fluid ounces sweetened condensed milk (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup frozen concentrated orange juice, thawed
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped pecans
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 1⁄4 cups red maraschino cherries, quartered
- 1 1⁄4 cups green maraschino cherries, quartered
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Cream butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until light and creamy.
- Gradually add flour, mixing after each addition until crumbly.
- DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Press crumb mixture onto a parchment paper-lined 15 inch x 10 inch baking pan.
- Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 5 to 6 minutes; remove from oven and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together sweetened condensed evaported milk, lime juice, orange juice, pecans, coconut, red and green maraschino cherries.
- Spread evenly over prepared crust using a rubber spatula.
- Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 25 minutes.
- Cool thoroughly on a wire rack and chill before cutting.
- Turn the festive squares upside down onto a cutting board.
- Remove parchment paper and discard.
- Cut cake into squares.
- Wrap any unused portion in plastic wrap and refrigerate.