Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 48 hrs
This is a very simple old time family recipe. It was used at every family reunion and for all family gatherings. *** contemporary additions if desired *** add 3 tbs dry mustard, 3 tsp pepper, 6 cloves minced garlic, and 3 minced medium onions. Saute together and added prior to baking *** These ingredients were not part of the original recipe and are not included in the nutritional value***
- Rinse beans until water comes out clean, removing any "bad" looking beans.
- Soak beans covered in water at least 5 hours or overnight in a large pan.
- Boil in same water with 3/4 of salt pork (cut up either in chunks or slices).
- Bring pot to a boil with the salt pork. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 1 1/2 hrs till tender. (However tender the beans are going into the pot is how they will be in the end).
- In a heavy baking pan sprayed with Pam, add beans, salt pork, salt (add contemporary additions if desired). Cover with water used to boil the beans. Add rest of salt pork in slices on the top.
- Bake at 200°F for 8 hours.
- Add water used from boiling when stirring to prevent sticking and for a moist bean. My family however, did not stir the beans, they just added the water every 30-s60 minute.