Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
A delicious configuration of sauerkrat and brats--developed by a REAL GERMAN.
- 6 pre-cooked bratwursts
- 1 medium onion
- 2 red apples
- 2 lbs sauerkraut, drained
- 6 slices un-cooked bacon
- Begin by greasing the bottom of a cake pan.
- Slice the bratwurst into thin coins, and layer the coins on the bottom of the pan.
- Next, slice the onion in to thin slices, and scatter on top.
- Slice the apple into very thin slices, and layer upon the onion. Sprinkle salt and sugar on this lightly.
- Cover the ingredients with the sauerkraut as evenly as possible. Grind pepper over all.
- Lay the strips of bacon down, blanketing the entirety. Grind over more pepper, and lightly sprinkle with sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake for about 50 minutes; the bacon should be ultra-crispy. Break up bacon with knife and jumble entire mixture thoroughly.
- Return to oven for a 30 minutes, top of mixture should brown interestingly.
- Remove from oven, and jumble one last time before serving.
- Serve with a slotted serving spoon to drain excess juices.
- Garnish with chopped walnuts. Serve with grainy mustard.
- Questions? Comments? E-Mail Jesse @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
this was excellent. all of our favorites, sauerkraut, bacon and bratwurst. i shredded the apple instead of slicing it and used the onion in slivers. what an enjoyable, easy dinner. vielen dank
My husband and I love this! Am making it for the third time tonight as we have some left-over brats from our cookout last night. YUMMY!
Have made this twice now, we do like this. It is a nice change, very quick to make and delicious !!! I used Maple Bacon and it gave it a nice sweet taste !! If your bacon is salty I would not add additional salt though. I like to use the low sodium. Thanks for letting us try this, I will make this again.