Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Short pastry base with walnuts and two yummy fillings.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 lemon, juice and rind of, grated
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 6 apples, pared and diced
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- Cream the butter and sugar together until very light.
- Add the egg and beat well.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients; Mix thoroughly and chill.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts.
- Pat each part into a lightly buttered layer cake pan (8 inch pan).
- Bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees F.)for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until delicately browned.
- Remove from the pans to a cake rack.
- While the cakes are cooling, prepare the following apple filling;.
- Cook the apples with the lemon juice and sugar until thick. (Add sugar to taste) Do not add any water. Cool.
- Now prepare the chocolate filling.
- Cream all the ingredients to a smooth paste.
- Spread the layers with the prepared fillings.
- Use the apple filling on the first layer and the chocolate filling on the second layer.
- Spread the third layer with the apple filling.
- Cover with the fourth cake.
- Ice the top and the sides with any plain icing.
- Do not cut for 24 hours.
- Serve in slices.