Recipe by Olha
After baking these little rolls are poured over with boiling water drained and then rolled in cooked poppy seed, honey, sugar and milk mixture.
FOR THE ROLLS
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1⁄2 cup milk, just above room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk, just above room temperature
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine salt
FOR THE TOPPING
- 3⁄4 cup poppy seed
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir yeast into milk, water and evaporated milk. Whisk in sugar, melted butter and egg yolk. Add 2 cups flour and salt and stir until dough becomes too hard to work with a spoon; switch to working in remaining flour by hand. Turn out dough onto a clean work surface and knead by hand for 5 minutes. Return dough to mixing bowl and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in a warm, draft free place for 2 hours.
- While dough is rising, prepare topping. Simmer poppy seeds in milk with honey and sugar for 15 minutes and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, cut dough in half and roll out each portion into a long rope. Cut each length into 12 pieces and shape into balls. Place balls on baking sheet, at least 1 inch apart and let rise for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until they’re a light golden brown.
- While still warm, tip rolls into a colander in the sink and pour 4 cups of boiling water over it, turning the balls while pouring. Drain rolls and toss with poppy seed topping coating well. Spread on a baking sheet to dry and set.
- These can be made a day in advance and stored in an airtight container. Makes 24.