Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
After baking these little rolls are poured over with boiling water drained and then rolled in cooked poppy seed, honey, sugar and milk mixture.
FOR THE ROLLS
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1⁄2 cup milk, just above room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk, just above room temperature
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine salt
FOR THE TOPPING
- 3⁄4 cup poppy seed
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Stir yeast into milk, water and evaporated milk. Whisk in sugar, melted butter and egg yolk. Add 2 cups flour and salt and stir until dough becomes too hard to work with a spoon; switch to working in remaining flour by hand. Turn out dough onto a clean work surface and knead by hand for 5 minutes. Return dough to mixing bowl and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in a warm, draft free place for 2 hours.
- While dough is rising, prepare topping. Simmer poppy seeds in milk with honey and sugar for 15 minutes and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, cut dough in half and roll out each portion into a long rope. Cut each length into 12 pieces and shape into balls. Place balls on baking sheet, at least 1 inch apart and let rise for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until they’re a light golden brown.
- While still warm, tip rolls into a colander in the sink and pour 4 cups of boiling water over it, turning the balls while pouring. Drain rolls and toss with poppy seed topping coating well. Spread on a baking sheet to dry and set.
- These can be made a day in advance and stored in an airtight container. Makes 24.